Although many of us (myself including) suffer from the “Sunday Scaries”, it’s not an excuse to lay around in bed, wasting away your precious energy on whatever it is that Monady may hold.
Over the last month I have been setting myself up for success by creating “SMART” weekly goals:
Specific: state exactly what you plan to do
Measurable: provide a way to quantify/evaluate your progress
Achievable: make these realistic and within your abilities
Relevant: set a goal that makes sense within your current goals, scope of practice, ambitions
Time-bound: state when this will be completed–deadlines!!
Silly goal: “I want to lose weight” This sets you up for failure because you literally have NO plan of action set behind these words. When? What’s the deadline? What are the specifics?
SMART goal: “By the end of March, I will have lost at least 3 pounds of body fat” This is a specific, time-oriented goal. You know what you want and when you want to have it completed by.
Although I’ve been a planner and list maker my entire life, I too suffer from the “I’ll get to that later” syndrome, and end up putting it off for months. By creating 2-4 SMART weekly goals, I’m allowing myself to “get to it later” but also providing myself a doable deadline.
How did last week’s goals go over?
- Update my FedLoan account for the 2019 year: Got this acccomplished right away on Monday. This is something that literally takes 5 minutes max, but is one of those “it’s so easy I’ll get to it later” situations. DONE!
- Donate my clothes: I’ve had these clothes bagged up for about 7 months in the corner of my living room. Knowing I was going to walk right past the donation bin on my way to the store, I brought them with me and completed this on Wednesday. DONE!
- Complete 2 chapters of my Ex Phys book: I am working towards my C-EP certification (more on that later), so I’m making realistic goals of how many chapters to get to each week. So far, I completed one….but hey, there’s still daylight to finish the second chapter. (almost) DONE!
Let’s see what this week’s goals consist of. These ones will be listed in a more SMART fashion:
- By Sunday of next week, I will have ran a minimum of 20 miles at a 9:50 pace or below.
- By Sunday of next week, I will have read 2 more chapters from my Ex Phys book.
- By Sunday of next week, I will have gotten my car washed/vaccuumed (thank you unnecessary snow days for making my car disgusting…)
- By Sunday of next week, I will have cleaned out my entire kitchen of any unused food/baking supplies/plateware that I have not used within the last 3+ months (I have so many unnecessary containers, pots/pans/shaker bottles that take up wayyyy too much room–they all need to GO!)
What are your weekly goals?